Monday 5 October 2009

GINGERISM

Noun/Slang
Definition- prejudice or discrimination against people with red hair.

GINGER MINGE, FIRECROTCH, FANTA PANTS, RANGA, GINGER..... the list goes on and on.

Why is it that in the UK people are slightly obsessed with making people with ginger hair aware that they have ginger hair??? Why is it a reason to scream across the street at a stranger "GGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR"????

I too have a slight obsession about ginger locks, but in the opposite way. I do believe that it is the ultimate color for one to adorn. This began for me very early in my career. Whenever i had the oppurtunity i would happily slather shades of titian, copper and red on my waiting victims/client. I even remember convincing my mother that the colour i turned her hair was 'copper' not 'orange', when in fact it was the brightest that orange could get. The problem was that my darling mother actually loved it, it was only her Gingerist attitude taking the better of her.

So what i have done is a collection appropriately named 'GINGERISM' to challenge the prejudice towards redheads and celebrate their beauty. I have known that the trend of ginger hair has been approaching over the past few seasons, as its only natural that when humans feel negatively about something, that negativity eventually turns 180 degrees to shine a new light on the subject at hand. Find an extract from my Press Release below.

Ginger hair has long been the object of ridicule. But now, as trend-setting beauties like La Roux’s Elly Jackson, Florence and the Machine’s Florence Welch and Girls Aloud’s Nicola Roberts embrace the shade, the colour is enjoying a red-hot revival.

Danny Puoplo’s debut hair collection ‘Gingerism’ challenges the prejudice associated with redheads and instead celebrates their natural beauty. Each of his eight images illustrates a different take on the trend – from Beth Ditto’s new orange crop to doll-faced Lily Cole’s naturally fiery red mane.


“I believe that ginger hair is the ultimate hair colour as it portrays a contemporary powerful image,” he says. “Not only is it bright and youthful, but it’s also one of the most individual looks that anybody can wear. It can scream or whisper to your heart’s content and it is incredibly fashion and fresh.”


“Each of my looks began by assessing my model’s skin tone in order to combine the perfect shade of copper to her look. Using Aveda hair colour, I was able to perfect both intense and softer shades of ginger. I teamed the hair colours with equally strong emphasised shaped cuts and lots of curls, which gave volume and height to my ‘80s power-dressing inspired silhouettes. Anybody can take an aspect from each look and use it for their own hair, which keeps my collection commercial and very on-trend.”


So there we have it... Very soon i will feature the images and discuss why they are relevent to the professional hairdresser and also the non industry trained fashionista.

So please keep posted, and until then challenge your own views on the topic. At the end of the day, its only the color of someones hair..... and lets face it, its hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment